RAMMY finalist for “Cocktail Program of the Year” continues its monthly series of spirits & cocktail exploration on 5/8, featuring $8 rock-themed gin and rosé wine cocktails at guest-bartended industry night
For the latest installment of its monthly “Royal Knights” spirits and cocktail exploration series, Royal in LeDroit Park is shining the spotlight on two of spring’s favorite refreshing boozy beverages -“Gins & Rosés.” On Monday, May 8 from 9pm to 1am, the one-night cocktail pop-up will feature 8 gin and rosé wine-infused cocktails from guest bartender Rico Wisner, currently of Rosario and For Rent, in collaboration with Royal’s bar manager Andrew Larsen. And taking inspiration from one of America’s most popular rock bands, guests can rock out to hair metal and hard rock tunes all night.
Guest bartender Rico Wisner has tended and managed DC bars ranging from Graffiato, BLT Steak, Ambar, Tico andBonfire, and can currently be found behind the bar at Adams Morgan’s new Rosario and K Street basement bar For Rent. He has collaborated with Larsen on a special one-night cocktail menu which not only uses rosé in unique ways (ie. infused with spices, used to marinate fruit and floated atop drinks) but also showcases rosé aperitifs and even rose-hued tequila aged in former Bordeaux wine barrels. Guests can also try a unique Spanish gin – Mahon Gin – distilled on the island of Menorca from grapes in copper pot stills, which will serve as the base for several of the night’s drinks.
Rico Wisner’s four cocktails may include:
- the SALT CHILD OF MINE, reminiscent of a gin pink lemonade made with Mahon Gin, rosé, lemon, simple, salt and pink peppercorn;
- LIVE AND LET RYE combining rye whiskey, Cocchi Rosa (a floral rosé aperitif) and grapefruit bitters;
- the SHAKIN’ ON HEAVEN’S WORD with Mahon Gin, Dolin Génépy des Alpes (an herbal alpine liqueur), lime, simple and sparkling rose wine;
- and WELCOME TO THE JUNGLEBIRD, a Tiki-inspired tipple made with Rum, Cappelletti, lime juice, pineapple juiceand cardamom tincture.
Andrew Larsen’s cocktails will range from:
- the AXL ROSÉ, a sangria riff combining Rosé, Rujero Singani (a Bolivian brandy), Strawberry, Peach and Tarragon;
- the sparkling rosé-topped BEN E. KING’S DAYDREAM, incorporating Mahon Gin, Suze (a bitter French aperitif) and fresh lemon;
- the PINK DAISY made with Asombroso La Rosa (a rosy reposado tequila aged for three months in ex-Bordeaux casks), Lillet Rosé and lime bitters, rimmed with pink sea salt;
- and the spiced-up SANGRITA DESCARADO made with Rosé Marinated Honeydew, chili powder and mezcal.
This is part of Royal’s monthly “Royal Knights” event series, where on the second Monday of each month, they focus on a new batch of craft spirits, lesser-known liqueurs, and the creative people who make them, hosting guest-bartenders from around the country and introducing guests to creative new brands in the booze industry.
Next month’s “Royal Knights” will take place on Monday, June 12th themed for the annual, nationwide “Negroni Week.”
Royal’s monthly “Royal Knights” industry nights are free and open to the public, running from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. on the second Monday of every month. Details for subsequent “Royal Knights” nights will be announced closer to each event.
WHO: The Royal
The Royal is a classic corner neighborhood spot located in Washington, DC’s historic LeDroit Park neighborhood at 501 Florida Avenue, NW. A coffee shop and lunch spot by day, and an intimate bar and casual eatery by night, The Royal is a unique all-day destination for morning coffee and breakfast, leisurely lunch, after-work cocktails and simple yet creative, grill-centric fare. Opened in June 2015, The Royal bridges the hip Bloomingdale and Shaw neighborhoods and is LeDroit Park’s newest neighborhood joint.
The second project from restaurateur Paul Carlson, along with his family, the quaint split-level, 45-seat gathering place offers a welcoming open bar area, second-floor loft-style dining area and outdoor patio seating. The Royal is open seven days a week, Sunday-Monday 8am-12am, Tuesday-Thursday 8am-1am, and Friday-Saturday 8am-2am.